Saturday, June 23, 2012

Grandma's Apple Pie ... SCD Style!!

My mother has a knack for developing wonderful recipes.  I would have to say that the ablility to revamp recipes to fit a special diet came from her.  Actually, when I was 13, I suffered from what the doctor called a "nervous stomach".  The symptoms were quite similar to the ones Jacob had at different times during a flare. Not as severe though.  The doctor told my mom to put me on a bland diet.  I remember her being so determined to make things I could eat and not be hungry or miserable until I could eat normally again.  After about 3 months, I returned to a regular diet.  Then when I was 21, we were both diagnosed as Hypoglycemic.  She began, again, revamping recipes to make them sugar free and she has become a pro at it.  One day we would like to put her recipes in a cookbook to at least give to friends and relatives.  But because I like you so much and you have been so good to me... I have decided not to make you wait for the book!  We have made her Apple Pie ( famous around these parts) SCD Legal.  It is so scrumptious and healthy. Would you think bad of me if I told you I let the boys eat it for breakfast some times!

Grandma's Apple Pie
Filling
3 Red Delicious Apples Peeled and thinly sliced
1 egg beaten
1 melted stick of butter
1 heaping Tbs cinnamon
1 tsp honey
1 tsp SCD Legal Vanilla

Place a pizza pan in oven and preheat to 350.  Peel and slice apples as thin as you can get them. Put in a large bowl.  Then add all ingredients and mix well.

Pie Crust
(you will need 2 recipes)
1 1/2 cup Almond flour
1/4 tsp salt
4 tbs cold butter
2 Tbs cold water

In a bowl, put almond flour and add salt.  Slice butter into small pieces and cut in with pastry cutter or two knives.  Make sure it is cut in well.  The mixture will have a sandy look to it when it is all cut in.  Add water one tablespoon at a time. You don't want the dough too wet. If the dough holds together with the first tablespoon of water you will not need the second.  Form a ball and press into buttered pie plate.  Press evenly across the bottom and up the sides. Place in preheated oven on the pizza pan.  Bake maybe 10 min just until crust is beginning to bake.  Remove and add apple mixture.  The second pie crust will be placed in pieces on top.  Press out small amounts and place on top till all the apple mixture is covered.  Place back in oven on pizza pan on 350 for 30 min.  Check if crust has not begun to brown place back in oven for a few more minutes.




This is the most delicious apple pie.  And one of those recipes that makes you feel you are not missing out on anything!  It is also so easy to prepare.  It's as easy as pie!!!!  





9 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! It's fun to hear that you inherited your can-do cooking from your mom. Isn't that great?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Robin!! Great to hear from you. Yes I tell ya I don't know what I would do with out her. She was a big help to me while we were figuring out the diet.

      Delete
  2. Is there a typo in the filling ingredients? You list an egg and melted butter twice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there!! OH my goodness!! I am so glad you pointed that out to me. I usually get Jacob to go behind me and proof read but I didn't this time! Thank you for letting me know! I will fix it asap!

      Delete
  3. I love Grandma's pies! This one looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Amy Thank you so much!! So Glad you enjoyed it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, I want to make this pie, but do not understand the part " you will need 2 recipes" for pie crust. Do you mean: to make it twice or double the amount? Wanda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey sorry I didn't see this reply in my mail. Yes make the crust recipe twice.

      Delete
  6. Can this be frozen and thawed? :) I'm hoping to bring a pie on Sunday to a fellowship but would need to make it either today (Thursday) or tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete