Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Just like Grandma made...almost

When I was little my grandmother made all sorts of wonderful desserts from scratch.  Every Sunday, after Church, we would have lunch at her house and she always had 2-3 cakes or pies that she had made early that morning.  My favorite was Banana Nut Bread.  My grandmother was the type of cook that didn't need measuring cups or spoons.  She would measure things out in her hand. It was amazing to watch.  But I really wanted to have her recipe so she figured out how much of each ingredient and wrote it down for me.  I have made that bread for years.  Before SCD, I switched the flour to wheat and the sugar to honey because most of my family had to eat sugar free.  Then when we began the SCD we substituted legal ingredients for illegal ones, consulted with Grain Free Gourmet Cook Book to make sure measurements would work (they have some yummy recipes!) and now Grandma's Banana Nut Bread recipe is SCD compliant!!!  I usually make it into muffins but you could also put this in a loaf pan for bread.

Banana Nut Muffins

2 1/2 Cup blanched Almond Flour
2 ripe bananas mashed
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/3 - 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup honey
3 eggs
1 tbs legal vanilla
1/2 cup chopped nuts

Pre-heat oven to 350. Mash bananas and mix in baking soda.  Not sure why but this is what her recipe said to do.  Mix  all ingredients well.  Prepare muffin pan with wrappers or butter a loaf pan.  Fill muffin wrappers 3/4 full.  Place in oven and bake for 20 min.  Let cool before serving!

These are great for any time of day.  We use them alot for breakfast.  Remember if you are just starting the diet, you should wait till stage 5 before trying any nut flour.  Make sure you are tolerating nut flour for a while before attempting to add this recipe because of the whole nuts included.

No comments:

Post a Comment